Monday, December 21, 2009

Almond Butter



I'm committed to make my boys some Christmas Buckeye Balls. At Gary's request I made almond butter tonight, thinking it may be an even healthier alternative to homemade peanut butter.

I preheated the oven to 375 degrees (which is 25 degrees hotter for high altitude)
lined a cookie sheet with aluminum foil
poured the almonds onto the sheet & baked for 15 minutes, stirred once to make sure it wasn't burning

Then, I loaded 1/3 of the toasted almonds into the food processor. At first they became powdery but sure enough within minutes it was smooth and creamy. The first 3rd of almonds I added possibly a teaspoon of canola oil & it became runny. I suspect it will harden as it cools. The remaining 2/3's I creamed and kept separate. Gary said that way if we like one more than the other, I'll remember how to make it next time.

Now, it's nearly 10:15 p.m. We've had a long day of Christmas shopping in Guadalajara and Gary asks me where his buckeye balls are? They'll be here in time for Christmas ;)

2 comments:

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

Mmmmm! That looks yummy:)

funny_girl said...

thanks! and there's only 1 ingredient, lol
i made more tonight for the buckeye balls & it's perfect w/out anything else added. just put the warm toasted nuts into the processor until desired consistency. it'll cool & harden a little in the refrigerator. I forgot to add that this is only good for 2-3 weeks because there are no preservatives added.